Monday, November 16, 2009

Liar! Liar!

Why do we lie? We all do it in various forms, most of which consist of either “white lies” or “omissions of the truth.” What leads a normally humane friend, colleague, or family member to cross the line into the “lie zone?” We’ve all been burned by lies and liars; we know the pain, anger, and hollow feeling that is left when the veil of a lie is lifted. Often it is those very lessons that teach us not to lie. Yet, we can’t stop others from lying.

Common sense guides us to think that lies stem from the liar’s desire to look better, avoid punishment, gain something, or protect him/herself. From either personal experience or observation of others, we’ve all seen the result of perpetual lies: they worsen over time; they snowball into more lies. While we can’t do much to make others stop lying, we can sometimes identify tell-tale signs of a lie in the making. Here are some tips from Dr. Gail Saltz: www.drgailsaltz.com.

Avoidance of eye contact: Usually someone makes eye contact at least half the time they are talking to you. If you notice them avoiding eye contact or looking down during a specific part of a conversation, they may well be lying.

Change of voice: A variation in pitch of voice or rate of speech can be a sign of lying - so can lots of “um” and “ah.”

Body language: Turning her/his body away, covering the face or mouth, a lot of fidgeting of hands or legs can indicate deception.

Contradicting oneself: Making statements that just don’t hold together are cause for suspicion.

What do YOU think?

8 comments:

  1. I think that lying isn't good period, but certain situations require people to lie. I try not to lie, but I sometimes think im too nice to people and when i dont want them upset with me or angry because of something i say, i lie to them in a nice way!! How crazy is that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Think lying is coming more relivent in todays society and is even more excepted . It seems like we hear lying everyday coming from many forms such as political leaders,false advertising ,and peirs not really excepted but just kind of expected in a sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this blog is very true with all the motions of one person an the change of the voice. i've never understood why people lie but this tells me why some people lie and how they lie this is a very good expression for liars

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, alike everyone else, have lied at some point in my life. I have found that the easiest way to go through life is being honest. Ones honor and dedication can be deminished by lying. My personal story behind this is irrelevant but what is important is that you dont except lying from someone. I alwyas say "You can lie to yourself but you cant lie to me" If lying continues then the only solution may be to terminate the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't try to lie if possible but when i need to save my butt i will lie in that benefit. but that is when i'm seriously in trouble will i lie. it is a bad habit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes do things it says liers do but yet, i don't lie when i say um and ah... but everybody does lie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lie all the time. For example when I go to sleep, or when I watch tv. I always like to lie down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have lied and now believe that lie do add up and so I am trying my best not to lie anymore

    ReplyDelete